Tuesday, September 4, 2007

What I'm bringing...


My life in two bags.


Backpack. No luggage for me. I chose an Osprey Atmos to lug around my gear. At 65 liters with 4,000 cubic inches of space, the bag is big but not over-the-top. I tried on a few larger-sized bags but none fit as well, and so I sacrificed the extra space for comfort.

Day pack. For daytrips, I selected the North Face Recon. I was sold by the convenient sleeve to hold my computer and plenty of small zippered pockets for my iPod, Chapstick and other necessities.

Wallet. My new Orla Kiely wallet is big enough to carry my passport, Eurorail pass, credit cards and cash.

Clothes. I won't be winning any best dressed awards, but I have got everything I need (and probably more):

3 pairs of pants, 1 skirt, 1 jersey dress, 5 long-sleeved shirts, 4 t-shirts, 3 tanks, 1 hoodie, 1 fleece, 1 waterproof jacket, 1 puffer vest, 8 pairs of socks, 1 pair of tights, 2 bras, 12 pairs of underwear, 1 pair of sneakers, 1 pair of flip-flops/shower shoes, 1 pair or ballet flats, 1 pajamas

Dan will be visiting halfway through my trip and will supply me with more warm-weather wear.

Toiletries. I know I can buy when I am there, so I stocked up on travel-sized everything:

toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss, face wash, moisturizer, deodorant, lotion, make-up, Chapstick, shampoo/conditioner, styling lotion, comb, travel hair dryer, razor, soap, contact solution, contact case, 4-month supply of contact lenses, glasses, Advil, Imodium, Purel, 4-month supply of birth control, tampons, nail clippers, tweezers, Band aids

Technology. To keep my blog going and write to my heart's content, I am bringing along my Dell laptop computer and a USB drive in case I need to use another computer to upload my files. My Canon Powershot camera is a must for pictures, as is my iPod for enduring long train rides. To appease my mother, I purchased an unlocked international cell phone and SIM card from
Telestial.com. I also tossed in a travel alarm to get me up for Polish language class and an adapter so I can use all my electronics overseas.

Miscellaneous. On the recommendation of my friend and experienced traveler, Anjali, I purchased a down sleeping bag and sleeping pillow on REI.com to use for icky hostel beds. At REI, I also picked up a PacSafe for my backpack to secure my valuables. One quick-dry towel and umbrella will keep me dry. Lastly, I am tossing in Lonely Planet travel books for every country I intend to visit, two books for reading pleasure (A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian and On the Road--I know, so cliché, but I never read it yet), pens, a journal, and pictures of my family and friends to show new acquaintances and relatives.

What I am leaving behind…
Shaving cream. The can wouldn't fit. I will purchase overseas or just use soap.
Running/workout clothes. In some ways, leaving behind my running shorts felt like going to Europe without my underwear. But I've decided that I have got to go 100% Euro and forget the gym for three months.
Dan. He didn't fit in the bag. I tried.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

What no running shoes!!!!!