Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Americanski Hamburger


All the McGoodies.

It was bound to happen. After a day spent musing about my grandparents, my heritage and what it means to be Polish, I ended up eating dinner last night at 1 in the morning at McDonald's.

Really, I blame Philip.

Around 8 'o clock, I joined some of the Germans--Kristina, Line and Philip--at a cozy bar near the Maly Rynek called Po Lewej Stronje for one drink. The first session of classes end on Friday, which means that all of the Germans and the majority of students are leaving on Saturday. (I am staying for a second session of classes). Over drinks, we talked about a possible "going away" party on Friday night. But then Philip announced that he was leaving for Warsaw that evening and won't be there. A going away party without Philip is like a polish ham sandwich without the bread.

With that piece of information, I think that we came to conclusion that the time to celebrate was right there and then, and so the drinks kept coming, the conversation continued and all of a sudden it was way past midnight and all of us were more than tipsy.

We stumbled out of the bar. Kristina and Line were ready for dancing, but Philip and I wanted to eat. And Philip had one place in mind: McDonald's.

"No, not there," Kristina groaned. Perhaps inspired by the bar where we spent the evening (On the Left Side), we had some political discussions, so I was not surprised to learn that Kristina was a bit anti-McDonald's. But Philip insisted.

"Fine, we'll go!" she said, "but you will have to suffer the consequences!"

She didn't order anything. Line got a tea. Philip got some kind of burger sandwich, and I got my usual hamburger, fries and small Sprite.

Later, I think Kristina felt a little bad for giving us a hard time, but I admired her spirit and attitude. It would be no fun if people didn't have opinions. And I certainly didn't let it spoil my meal.



Philip eats, as Kristina looks on.



Line and Kristina at the "left" bar.

3 comments:

Peter said...

When I visited Poland it was for over 2 weeks and toward the end, I was sick of Polish Ham! I visited Jacub in Warsaw and they had a McDonalds! I was so happy to eat something other than typical Polish food. I told Jacob that we call McDonalds "The Golden Arches", and to this day he still calls it that.

I'm so sad the Germans are leaving. Do you think this will stop Yvonne from being a "Fun-Pig"?

Squeen said...

I see "Happy Meal" on the menu there. What does that mean in English?

Brett said...

(Mc Dubious)