Friday, September 21, 2007

There is nothing to fear but fear itself--and maybe Poland.

I didn't write yesterday. I was just plain tired.

I love it here, I really do. And I love my classes and the Germans and the whirlwind of activities and dinners and nights out. But I feel like I have been running so fast--just going, going, going--and getting very little sleep that now I feel like I have hit a brick wall and all I want to do is stop and relax.

The thing about Poland is that I cannot relax. If I were in New York City and feeling this way, I would have no problem putting on pajamas, ordering a pizza, watching TV and napping on the couch. Here, taking a nap seems forbidden. There's a voice inside my head that says, "You’re all the way in Krakow and you want to NAP?"

Yesterday, I tried to take it easy, but it is so hard to relax here. Nothing comes easy, every little thing requires thought, so I am always outside of my comfort zone. I suppose I could go to the apartment and watch television--if I could figure out how to turn it on. I have been in this apartment so two weeks now, and every few days I get inspired to push every button on the television and the two remotes and absolutely nothing happens. Yes, it is plugged in. (And I thought the washing machine fiasco was bad).

It's not just the TV. I try to make a phone call. It doesn't go through. I spend a half an hour trying repeatedly. I have to purchase contact solution. I go to a store that looks like a drug store. It has shampoo and cosmetics and shaving cream, but there is no contact solution. I decide to go to the pharmacy. They tell me that it's not sold there either. Turns out you go to the optician for contact solution and it costs $16 for a bottle. It took me hours to figure this out.

So far, I have not been homesick. Sure, I miss Dan, my friends, my family, and I have been craving scrambled eggs. But on days like this, I do miss that absolute comfort of being home, of being by myself, of knowing that the drug store with my $10 bottle of contact solution is right down the street. There I don't have to worry about the little things. Here, everything is an adventure. Sometimes it is exhilarating, sometimes it absolutely sucks.

The last two days I have also felt a little down in the dumps because the Germans are leaving and through them, I do find some comfort. Yesterday, we took exams (I got a 90%) and today we had a good-bye party. It seems strange that I will return next week for a second session while all the rest of my friends will return to their normal lives.

I am sure the new group of students that start on Monday will be wonderful in their own way, and I have to remind myself that this trip is all about meeting new people. Soon, I won't even have the classes to depend on for making friends.

People have told me that I am "brave" for doing a trip like this and back in the States, it was hard for me to understand why they said this. But now I know. I feel afraid all the time. I am scared to be without company. I am scared to ask the cashier a question. I am scared to get lost. I am scared what's going to happen today, tomorrow, two weeks from now, when I get back home.

But what I am discovering is that despite all this discomfort and this fear of the unknown, I just keep going. And there is no place I would rather be. So far, everything has worked out for the absolute best.


"The inner circle" on our last night out together.



Kristina and me speaking Polish.


Kristina and Philip presenting Agnieszka, one of our teachers, with flowers as thanks.


Class portrait. Back Row: Leon, Kristina, Philip. Front Row: Our teachers Agnieszka and Jusytina, Jill, me and Manuel.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Yvonne! when you get sad, or scared just remember that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity! Embrace everything and just enjoy yourself. We're proud of you!!!
-Tania