Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A perfect day for a nap.

I had good intentions, I really did. Thanks to my new roommates who rummaged around my room bright and early, I was awake and out the door by 9:30 ready to tackle the day. I decided that I was going to take a day trip to Devin Castle, which is outside of Bratislava, and then come back and walk around Bratislava Castle which is in town but supposedly not as nice.

Then I stopped at Tesco for some breakfast. Then I got lost getting to the bus station. Then I walked up a really big hill and it was not the right hill. When I finally got to the bus station, the morning was wasted and the next bus to the castle was an hour and a half away. I suddenly didn't feel like it anymore.

I didn't want to do anything. I didn't want to go to the castles. I didn't want to be in Bratislava anymore. I didn't want to look for a restaurant so I popped into McDonald's because it was there and I didn't have to think. I ate and people-watched and contemplated a day of napping.


People watching at its best.

These are the times I wish I had a traveling partner because when you are alone, it is hard to get out of a funk. I sat there for a while, going back and forth on what to do. Finally, I imagined myself telling people at home about my travels in Bratislava and saying, yeah, I didn't see any of the castles because I didn't feel like it. It seemed lame. That thought made me go climb the hill to Bratislava Castle. It wasn't the good one, but at least it was something.

I walked around the castle grounds. I went around town. I checked out a few stores. I sat in a coffee shop for a while and wrote some fiction, my eyes drooping at first, but then I got into a nice flow. I walked back to the hostel, my mind bubbling with ideas for my story. There was no one in my room when I arrived and so I took a nap which I could only describe as delicious.

When I woke up, I was full of energy. I walked around the city one last time--it was beautiful outside for once, the rain stopped, the night air comfortably cool. People had come outside, milling about the streets. I felt incredibly happy. Funny how a little bit of sleep can make all the difference.


Bratislava Castle.



Bratislava is a city of many statues...the watcher is the most famous.



I like this this one, too. Reminds me of Mr. Monopoly.

3 comments:

Annette said...

Why do European McDonald's have such tiny cups? Is it like that in the states???

Yvonne said...

Well, I ordered the small, but in general, the portion sizes of drinks in Europe are much smaller. I always run out of drink.

Megan M said...

I think Ms. Gross might have perhaps described your nap as "creamy" ... O what do you think?