Monday, November 12, 2007

Selections from The Sound of Music

I am not a fan of the bus tour. But I received a very strong recommendation from my friend Megan to see The Sound of Music tour when in Salzburg, because this is the location where the movie was filmed.

I even watched the movie before I left on this trip, noting that Maria, played by a zesty Julie Andrews, is a huge fun-pig (don't you remember that the nuns got mad at her because she couldn't help frolicking and singing in the mountains? And she's all like, "I can't help it!") And so why not see everywhere Maria has been within a large, obnoxious bus that has her picture painted on it? Our tour guide was a British woman with an incredibly dry sense of humor that no one understood and a voice similar to a sex phone operator. They played songs from the movie, and she was the only one who sang along. (The tourist group was not in fun-pig mode at all).

It was interesting to see the sights, but afterwards, I decided that what makes The Sound of Music tour fun must be Megan herself. If I ever do it again, I must have her (singing) by my side.


We learned that most Austrians are not fans of the Sound of Music and have not seen the movie. Our tour guide said that our bus riding around the city of Salzburg has given them some indication that something is going on.


The hills are alive...with lots of snow.



One of the buidlings used to portray the von Trapp house in the movie.



The gazebo where Liesl and Rolfe sang "Sixteen going on seventeen."



Nonneburg Abbey, where Maria studied to be a nun.



One of my favorite things? Apple strudel with vanilla creme sauce.



Do-Ri-Me: Yes, I am singing again.

5 comments:

Peter said...

Yodel lay-hee-hoo!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! this would have been my favorite leg of the trip!!!
I love the sound of music, too bad you couldnt run in the hills and twirl around!
-tania

Unknown said...

I was sure Salzburg is all about Mozart, i forgot The sound of music!

Megan M said...

Doe a deer... and I am a STAG! I'm glad you took the tour :) And just so you know... nobody but me was singing along on the bus either... I'm sad it wasn't everything I built it up to be for you! Gooooooo Salzburg!

Brett said...

When you get to the town that "Toy Story" was filmed in take lots of pictures!