Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Kaiserslautern, we have a problem.

So I am in Kaiserslautern, Germany, right now, visiting Mark, who is a friend of Danielle, my friend and marathon running partner. I woke up this morning, excited to write about my trip to the spa yesterday (including tales of naked men!) and all about Mark, who is so super nice to let me stay at his place even though he went on vacation today...when I turn on my computer and it does not really start up and there is a blue screen that says FATAL SYSTEM ERROR.

This can't be my computer! I thought, literally inspecting it to make sure. But it was. I restarted the computer and the blue screen did not come up again, however, I can only view the top one-third of my screen, the rest is grey. I restarted the computer a few times and same deal.

I cried. I cursed. I thought about everything on my computer I may have lost. Luckily, I have posted most of my photos from this trip onto Flickr, so they are not all missing, but still--everything else might be kaput!

Having this happen to you at home is devastrating. Having it happen in Germany knowing that I will be here for another month and that this computer is my lifeline to my friends and family is quite another. I am in a computer lab right now and will be contacting Dell to see if I can do something about it.

Tales about the spa (and naked men) and Mark to be continued. If you know anything about computers and want to help, please email me.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Hi! I'm a friend of Mark's who used to live in Ktown, and I can't remember any computer repair places, but I found this one online:

CRT Computers Computer Guy PC Service Speed…Computers & More

Ramstein/Landstuhl 67661 Kaiserslautern-Hohenecken Konigstrasse 41

Tel: 06371-63473 Tel: 0631-3504381 Kaiserslautern

www.crt-pc.com Tel: 0631-21030

http://www.speedkl.de


By the way, I love your blog! : )

Brett said...

Vonne! My heart goes out to you. When my computer dies I go into the darkest room.

Yvonne said...

Kate: Thanks for the advice. I am going to try to go to a computer repair at my next destination as I will be with German speakers and will probably get further along. Also, always glad to hear from a new reader.

Brett, I knew you would understand.